Saivite Temples, Coimbatore District
Nanjundeswarar, facing east
Ulaganayagi, facing east
Vinayaga, Chandikeswara, Dakshinamurthy, Shanmuga (6 faces and 12 hands) with consorts, Veerabhadra, Rishabandika, Palani Andavar, Mahishasuramardini, Anjaneya, Nataraja
Copper plate inscriptions in Nanjundeswarar Karamadai indicate the grant made by Iswara Deva Raja, the general of Krishnadeva Raya (who ruled between 1509 and 1529 CE), of a village called Poosarpalaym to the Brahmins who served here. The original temple is believed to have been constructed much earlier but stalled due to invasions, the idols getting buried over time. Later Thirumalai Naicker who ruled Madurai between 1623 and 1659 CE came upon them while excavations were going on for the nearby Renganadar Temple. The work was then taken up again and the temple completed.
Once there was a fight between the Devas and Asuras as they chruned the Ocean for Amrita (Ambrosia). During the churning poisonous gases emanated they ran to Lord Shiva in his abode at Kailasa to save them. The Lord drank the poison which turned his throat blue as his consort Pravati blocked his throat – Neelakanta. Since the Lord drank the poison (Nanju), he came to be called as Nanjundeswarar here at Nanjundeswarar Karamadai.
29 kilometers on the Coimbatore to Mettupalayam road is Karamadai. Nanjundeswarar Karamadai is on a fork in the main road and near the Aranganayagar (Renganadar) temple.
Stay and Food
Coimbatore, Mettupalayam. Teashops and snack shacks are available locally